OSCEsmart is a QLTS training provider specializing in preparation only for Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE). The course is developed by successful QLTS qualified solicitors and offers a unique methodology of preparation, covering:
- Concise and focused materials, to save your time on making notes and focus you on the key subjects;
- Lists of LPC books and manuals viewed as the main theoretical source for OSCE prep that candidates are encouraged to read; and
- Practical online mock stations as per exam conditions, conducted on-line at any time from the comfort of your home or office.
We aim to provide high quality individually tailored services and have a limited number of places available. Therefore, we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Before being enrolled on our course, the candidates will be tested on their legal knowledge and the required standard of character and suitability, taking into account the time frame of the exam and other relevant aspects.
How We Are Different
- Our course integrates first-hand experience of passing the OSCE
- Our course is tailor made and based on real-time individual training
- We keep our prices reasonable and our services affordable
- We prefer quality to quantity
For us you are not clients but colleagues
Technology is good, but it will never substitute individual feedback
We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone
QLTS – The Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme is an exam for foreign lawyers to qualify as English solicitors. It is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and provided by Kaplan QLTS. The QLTS consists of two exams. First foreign lawyers have to pass the Multiple Choice Test (MCT) and further the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) [Read more on our blog].
OSCE – is a super practical exam, aims to assess lawyers as per real legal practice conditions. Approximately since 2021 the exam will be greatly improved and extended to domestic (UK) prospective solicitors, now known as the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) or super-exam.
SQE – those who have successfully completed the multiple choice of QLTS, will be able to qualify via QLTS by clearing QLTS OSCE for the next 12 months since SQE is coming into force.
Stage/Part 1 or Oral Part
|Case and Matter Analysis / Attendance Note||
|Advocacy / Presentation or Persuasive oral communication||
Stage/Part 2 or Written Part
|Written Advice or Legal Writing||
The QLTS OSCE is a very practical exam, where the candidates are assessed based on a real solicitor’s practice conditions. In particular, they should demonstrate their ability to:
- Handle a client interview and prepare an attendance note or case analysis;
- Deliver an oral client presentation or advocacy, within the courts;
- Conduct legal research and complete a record sheet;
- Write letters, memoranda, emails, and other documents to the clients or colleagues; and
- Draft legal documents and complete different forms.
The above skills will be assessed in five practice areas: business, property, probate, civil litigation, and criminal litigation. The law also covers your substantive law knowledge from MCT or LLB/GDL e.g. contract, tort, trust, criminal law, administrative and constitutional law, professional conduct etc.
Preparation to OSCE should consist of 2 stages: study the actual law and develop your legal skills.
- Concise video lectures covering key issues you should know, learn, and memorize in order to succeed. Accessible from PC, tablet or smartphone
- Short printable notes in a table format
- Further reading guidance: LPC books, manuals, online resources, and case law
- Five Online Seminar Group Sessions (OSGSs): one per each practice area, purported to develop practical skills for application of the law to the facts
- Support from your tutor who can answer any questions you might have
- Concise video lectures on Interview, Advocacy and Presentation, Legal Research and Writing and Drafting
- Attachments providing further guidance, instructions, and samples of different documents e.g. attendance note and case analysis, research record sheet, sample drafting materials, research record sheet, research, drafting and writing mock questions
- Interview, Advocacy and Presentation and Legal Research followed by in-depth feedback. This will help you: understand your readiness then revise accordingly, get acquainted with the process and the procedure of the exam, and ultimately develop your own approach to handling it. We expect you to submit Attendance Notes no later than 24 hours after the interview.
How it works
12-6 months – start reading, based on individual learning abilities, objectives, and availability. Please note: for LPC graduates it will take considerably less time. Useful links: OSCE Books And Manuals. To be individually assessed, please complete this survey;
3 months before the OSCE – schedule the mock exams, taking into account your individual needs and workload
2-2.5. months before the OSCE (March/Sep) – start your OSGSs and prepare for the Interview (Attendance Note and Case Analysis), Advocacy and Presentation and Legal Research
Package ‘Diagnostic’ – £250
✓1 Mock Interview + Attendance Note;
✓1 Mock station Legal Writing/Research;
✓1 Mock station Legal Drafting; and
✓Analysis of the results
Package ‘Study Group’
➢5 sets of lectures: Business, Property; Probate; Civil and Criminal Litigation;
➢Skills lectures: Drafting, Writing, Research, Interview and Advocacy
➢Short drafting and writing case studies in 5 practice areas with mock stations and suggested answers for self-assessment
➢5 research mock stations and suggested answers for self-assessment
➢5 seminars OSGSs on the application of the law to factual scenarios: one per practice area;
➢Group facilities: Flashcards, Facebook Group; Legal Research and Drafting Google Classrooms; and
➢Dedicated tutor: Assistance with individual study plan; reasonable support with your questions and inquiries; assistance with finding a study partner
Deadline for singing up for the Packages – 60 days before the next QLTS OSCE [until and excluding 29 Sep 2019 for the Nov 2019 OSCE sitting]
To sign up for the OSCE Smart Course, please submit the Question Form on the left or email us at: email@example.com
Package A ‘Double’ – £1700
➢10 Mock interviews + Attendance Notes / Case Analysis or Legal Writing (5 individually marked + suggested answer and 5 only given suggested answer); and
➢7 Mock Advocacy/Presentation sessions
Package B ‘All In’ – £1300
➢5 Mock Interviews + Attendance Notes/Case Analysis or Legal Writing exercise (5 individually marked + suggested answer and 5 only given suggested answer); and
➢5 Mock Advocacy/Presentation sessions; and
➢Top up to Double – deadline 60 days before the next QLTS OSCE, subject to the slots availability
Package C ‘Budget’ – £700
➢2 Mock Interview + 1 Attendance Note/Case Analysis; and
➢1 Mock Advocacy/Presentation station
➢Top up to Package B for the price difference – deadline 60 days before the next QLTS OSCE, subject to slots availability
An Online Mock Client Interview with one-to-one mock client feedback based on the SRA and QLTS Kaplan marking criteria and outcomes – £50
A Handwritten Attendance Note or Case Analysis as a follow-up to a Mock Client Interview, individually marked up and provided with commentaries IF SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN 24 HOURS AFTER THE INTERVIEW. Alternatively, you may opt to provide your advice in the form of client letter (Legal Writing) – £80
An Online Mock Advocacy/Presentation session with one-to-one mock client feedback based on the SRA and QLTS Kaplan marking criteria and outcomes – £100
An Online Legal Research exercise with tailored feedback and tips, as well as marked up record sheet. Please note we do not provide access to Lexis library – £80
Video lectures, OSCE notes may be purchased only as part of Package B ‘All In’ and Package A ‘Double’